Years ago, we blamed our low self-esteem issues and unnaturally superficial high body standards of beauty influences on magazines. Now with the rise of social media, and our source of entertainment transitioning from print to digital, our body image issues have also shifted. With each scroll on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube or on Facebook, we find new insecurities from celebrities, beauty bloggers who own an extensive collection of high-end makeup products, strangers who go to the gym, eat healthy, travel heaps (basically living a luxury lifestyle) and are somehow sponsored by beauty brands. They are also the catalysts for beauty trends, revolutionising branding and advertising whilst simultaneously making us green with envy #goals.
Here are the common beauty trends that are circulating around social media:
1. Big Lips/Matte Lips: Thanks to the queen of lip collagen, Kylie Jenner started the big lip trend way back in 2013/2014. Shimmerless, non-glossy, non-juicy lips have stuck around til today with more girls stocking up on Mac Lipsticks, lip liners, and Kylie Jenner Lip kits.
2. Contour/Highlighting: Our Instagram and YouTube feeds have been overloaded with contouring tutorials. Chiselled cheekbones and having a radiant, dewy highlighting glow is the most common look of 2016.
3. 90s Lolita: The nymphet look is in, with girls all around the world either braiding their hair into pigtails or tieing them up in two buns.
4. Big Butts: With gym culture still on the increase, plenty of women are going for more toned bodies and squatting their butts off just for a bigger trunk.
5. Short Hair: A lot of edgy girls have been channelling Mathilda from Leon: The Professional and rocking the short blunt hair look, along with taming their above-brow blunt fringes.
6. Glitter: Glitter is in and it’s not just for those who are going to the Mardi Gras. Whether it’s on your face or in your hair, the more the better.
7. Faux Freckles: Don’t ask how this trend came out. Almost as big as the faux mole trend, faux freckles have been embraced by social media users with girls using their brown eyeliner pencils and liners to create their dotted looks.
8. Fleek eyebrows: And finally, the long holding trend of Instagram has been the eyebrows. Since early 2013, everyone has been working on their eyebrow game, focusing heavily on shaping, tinting and perfecting their natural brows into flawless curves.